Friday, October 16, 2009

I ain’t nothin’ but a hounddog…






I ain’t nothin’ but a hounddog…

Yes that’s right, this morning I arrived in Memphis, Tennessee at the Gates of Graceland! Elvis Presley, the King of Rock & Roll and several member of his family lived here with Elvis and are also buried here on the grounds. Graceland is pretty much preserved as it was in the 1970’s when Elvis was living here, right down to the shag carpet! Although, No Dogs Allowed in Graceland, we can walk right by the front gate and the wall, where fans have left messages for Elvis since his death at Graceland on August 16, 1977.

I will be in Memphis for the next few days visiting all of the attractions. Visit me everyday to see my featured places.

Elvis purchased Graceland Mansion in 1957 for $100,000, seems incredible in these times. The mansion sits on 13.8 acres in Whitehaven, which was located in the Memphis Reserve, allowing for future city growth. Whitehaven was annexed by the City of Memphis in 1969. Secured by a large beautiful gate and surrounding wall, Graceland gave Elvis the privacy he desired. Fans could “cruise” by the Mansion at 3734 Elvis Presley Blvd, but Elvis was a guy who pretty much liked to be out of the public eye unless he was performing.

Graceland is made up of several buildings besides the white-columned home that was built in 1939. Elvis had a building just to house his Gold Records and today this building houses those Gold Records and many of his personal items, including the suits he wore when he performed and his military clothing.

Meditation Gardens on the property of Graceland is the final resting place of Elvis, his mother Gladys, his father Vernon and his grandmother Minnie Mae. Meditation Gardens is the last stop on Graceland Tours.

So, the next time you find yourself Walk’n in Memphis, walk right on over to Graceland for a visit with "the King". You know, I was in Burger King just down the road and I saw him, I swear I did!!

No comments: