Tuesday, October 13, 2009





I arrived in Miami last night and there were so many places to spotlight, but after careful thought I decided on Vizcaya Gardens & Museum. Although this is NOT a “dog friendly” attraction, it is too beautiful to pass up on my Travels. You will see my picture at the front gate of Vizcaya and that is as far as I go, but my humans love this place.

It was built between 1914 and 1916 on 180 acres in then undeveloped Miami. An Italian Villa sitting on Biscayne Bay, it was built as a winter residence of James Deering, a Chicago agriculture industrialist who spent winter at the Vizcaya from 1916 until his death in 1925. Deering was Vice President of the International Harvester Company.

Work on the Gardens at Vizcaya continued into the 1920 as labor & materials were not readily available due to WWI. Vizcaya Museum & Gardens, as it is now called belongs Miami-Dade County, they opened it to the public in 1953 as the Dade County Art Museum. In 1994, Vizcaya Museum & Gardens was designated a Nation Historic Landmark.

No comments: